Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Another Homeschool Perk ( among many)

Today was the nicest day of the year so far. Ty helped Matt with an attena installation, so I had planned on doing school in the afternoon. Well, we played hookey instead. I just could not get Bre to focus, as she stared dreamily outside. She is my nature girl, much like I was at her age. I remember sitting in PS doing the same thing, not listening to the teachr, just day dreaming about what I would rather be doing outside. I thought to myself, "why bother, isn't this supposed to be one of the many advantages of homeschooling anyway?" It's not like we are going to "fall behind" because we want to enjoy the out of doors for a day, right?
 I opened all the windows and  was able to get some needed cleaning done while Bre played out back. She scetched a tree and a bird, drew hopscotch squares on the driveway pavement, made mud pies and branch stew and made a fort out of plywood and garbage bags. She used her imagination. In my book, that is worth more than workbooks and such.
My neighbor is a school teacher, so I always check to see if her car is in the driveway before we go outside during "school hours" WHY, do I feel the need to do this? I mean, I send in all the required documents, teach dilligently, go on fieldtrips ect.., overall, I know our kids are getting a well rounded education in a loving enviroment, so why, oh why, do I still worry about what the neighbors think? I just hate that about myself. I really should not care about what others think of us, as long as we are pleasing to the Lord. So what if they think us strange, I would rather be strange than live in their world, so WHY DO I CARE? ugh. Sorry for the rant, I just don't get it. I am an intelligent (at least I like to think so) woman of God who loves her family and is secure in her life and life choices, this is why it bugs me so much. I know better! I have been praying for peace in this area for years. I have gotten better, just not 100 % there yet. This scripture comes to mind as I type this: Thou will keep perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee. Isa 26:3 

Ranting aside, it was a beautiful homeschool day, we may not have "hit the books" but it was still a learning day filled with fresh air and beautiful imagination. I pray you all had a wonderful spring day also!

No comments: