Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Homemaking with a Happy Heart

I feel very blessed to be a stay at home mom. I was asked recently what excatcly do I do? This was asked by a working mother. First, I told her that I take my home management seriously. My husband works hard so that I can homeschool and give 100% to my family. He should not come home to chaos. I keep my day structured with room for flexibility. I have a binder that I call my Household Management Book. In this binder you will find :

  • Emergency Numbers, Frequently called Numbers, Homeschool Group Numbers,Kid's friends numbers and parent's names.
  • Daily Planner, Monthly Planner and Calendar
  • Menu Planner
  • Shopping List
  • Recipes
  • Chores-daily, weekly and monthly as well as seasonally
  • Excersice and Food log
  • Medical Information on all family members, including the dogs

I also have a binder for homeschool that I call Homeschool Management. In this you will find:

  • Daily Schedule
  • Lesson Plans/Assignments for each child
  • Goals
  • Reading Log for each Child
  • Borrowed Library Books log w/ a returned check-off
  • Attendance Record
  • Calendar of events/Classes attended ect...
  • Quarterly Reports
  • Grade Log for each child
  • Field Trips
  • Phone log for coaches, Co-ops and groups ect...

I like knowing that in a hurry I can find what I need in one place. This also makes my quartely reports easier. I made all these sheets using word. I also know that you can print sheets from www.organizedhome.com

I am very content with my lifestyle, my husband is happy as well as our children. Yes we have bad days also. That is where the flexability comes in...If the children are miserable and aren't getting thier school work done I will pull out some educational games, or an educational movie or we have even gone to the park to do some of thier lessons. A change of pace or scenery can make a vast amount of difference. After a day or two we will go back to our original schedule. They do not frequently get bored though, they are involved in numerous outside activities such as Gym and Art, Music Lessons,Painting, Basketball and Dance just to name a few.

I do not feel the need to spend my days on the phone or visiting others gossiping and complaining about my life. When you ge in the habbit of that it becomes very destrucive and effects all family members. Does this mean that I am unsociable? Maybe in the opinion of others that are not content managing thier homes and spending time with thier family. I do like to socialize with my friends, just not every single day. I had a friend, before I moved that called me several times a day and liked to stop in allot. I used to think that I should open my doors to friends and be hospitle. However, after allot of praying and time in the word, I realized that I was doing my family an injustice. Did I not get married and have children, not to please others, but them and God? The below verse brings it all to light for me.

She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Proverbs 31:27 This verse has really been my inspiration . The phrase “She looketh well to the ways of her household,” tells me that the Proverbs 31 Woman was continually looking to meet her family’s needs. She was focused on her household.

I care and love my friends and non-immediate family very much and I will never shun them from my home or heart, but I do take my place in my home seriously and with JOY. So if you try calling and get the voice mail-I will call you back, once everything else is taken care of. You know I love you. Please do not take offence.

I noticed long ago that if I perform task with cheerfulness it is more pleasant-for everyone around. At first this was not easy and I kind of had to fake it. Now, I couldn't imagine doing things any other way. If you are struggling with your household chores, or your children try to tackle those things with a happy heart and watch how quickly things change for you.

No comments: