Thursday, September 4, 2008

Back To School

Well it does feel good to be back on a routine. You know, bedtime, morning chores, schooling, three square meals and such. :) Things in which we abhor in the summertime.
Cassie started college Tuesday and was in for a surprise-her books are comparable to Abbekka and Saxon Math-8th grade level. I am a bit disappointed due to the fact that she needs and likes a challenge. Oh well,this is only for her associates degree before she goes off to her major. It is still so very hard for me to conceive the fact that my baby is in college-16 or not!

We ( Ty, Bre and I) spent Wednesday going over their new books and labeling them. I absolutely love the label maker-yes I know I am weird! We also went over expectations and our routine. The kids were actually very excited about it. See, my theory that kids do need structure and rules is true! Today we followed our routine to a T and we ended class around 2pm. I am NOT being rigid this year, we will take things day by day and if a great field trip comes up, or if a movie is on that pertains to our lessons, we will be flexible. I did not even pre-type the lessons this year. Sometimes, their is more learning in real life than a textbook, even though I do like BJU and Abbekka textbooks. The reason, I did not pre-type their lessons out is so that we have room for other experiences. Last year we finished quite a few books early, so I do not see this as a problem. We also started getting into lapbooking a couple years ago, and it so much fun! The kids truly enjoy them and they have retained everything learned from them. I will try to post a few pictures of their past lapbooks. We have done Colonial Life, Astronomy, Oceanology and Christmas/birth of Jesus. I know there are more but I cannot think of them right now.
I also love the family room/school room. Our old school room was way too much like a classroom. This year it does resemble a school room but with a family room flair. It is very comfortable and fun! I am also way more relaxed this year, this is our fourth year homeschooling and we all are very happy about it and much more relaxed. Cassie even did her essay for her English class (to test out) on Homeschooling. We gave her the choice last year to homeschool or go to the local public school. She looked at me as if I had five heads or something. You know the look. She said NO WAY! Homeschooling has allowed me to know who I am, not follow any crowd and to love learning! What a proud mommy moment. I think I may have even cried. lol.
Well, that is all for now. I know this is going to be a fantastic year because every year just gets better and better. Sure, I know all about winter burnout and all, this year we will be doing unit studies and such when not if this happens. I just have to say how blessed we are that our whole family completely supports us! Thanks Family, you make it all that much more easier. I have heard horror stories of families divided because of the lack of understanding and support. I just need to stress that I appreciate you all and your undying support in our life long journey of educating our children in a healthy christian environment!

No comments: